Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
It wouldn't be the holidays without them! This casserole side dish can be made with just a hint of sweet or decadent enough for dessert! The pecan streusel caramelizes on top to make a pecan-pie like topping. This is one of those family recipes that you may need to play with the ingredient amounts a bit.
For the potatoes
- 6 -8 sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
For the streusel topping
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Wash and skin potatoes, chop into large chunks.
- Boil potatoes until tender and mash.
- Stir in butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and mini marshmallows to taste.
- Mix in a separate bowl, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and pecans, drizzle melted butter over mixture and stir to moisten, mixture should resemble chunky crumbs.
- Pour potatoes mixture into casserole dish and cover with a thin layer of mini-marshmallows.
- Top with pecan mixture.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
I made this for thanksgiving this year and it was delicious (I am eating some of the leftovers as I type and it is still good several days later...). Some of the family members like marshmallows on their sweet potatoes and some don't so I decided to make this without the marshmallows. I really don't see how they could improve upon the flavor! I misread the directions and accidently put in 1/2 c. of brown sugar in the potatoes. After I re-read the directions, I scraped out as much of the sugar in to the streusel, but I suspect there was more in there than 2 tablespoons. Loved it, this won't be just a holiday dish in my family.
Made this for Thanksgiving dinner. Yummy! It went really well with smoked turkey. Next time, I will not put marshmallows on the top. It just seemed like sweet overload.
I had made this previously with canned sweet potatoes for my family. Tonight I made it with fresh sweet potatoes and served it to a group and it got absolutely rave reviews! Well worth the time of peeling & chopping. This will be our go-to sweet potato recipe from here on out!! Thank you!