Recipe by Janice H.
A nice variation on a favorite side dish for fall dinners.
Top Review by lazyme
Yum! These were very simple and very good. The only thing that I would do differently next time is to add a little more ginger - but then we're big ginger fans here. The caramelized apples were a great treat on this tasty dish. Thanks Amanda.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, pierced with the tines of a fork
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 29.58 ml heavy cream
- 118.29 ml applesauce, preferably homemade
- 9.85 ml peeled grated fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 pound)
- 44.37 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°. Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake until tender, 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut each potato lengthwise. Scoop flesh into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; discard skins. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the cream; mix on medium speed until smooth. Mix in applesauce and ginger; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potato mixture to an ovenproof dish. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss apples with sugar in a bowl. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are golden and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Remove potato mixture from oven; top with caramelized apples, and serve.