Recipe by Natalia 3
This is an easy recipe for those who enjoy the natural flavor of sweet potatoes with a savory twist. The sweet potatoes are doctored up just enough to bring out their own flavor. The amounts will vary depending on how flavorful your potatoes are. For this reason, all ingredients are "TO TASTE", whether quantities are specified or not :) Enjoy!
Top Review by Starrynews
Very nice dish that really dresses up the sweet potatoes. I omitted the butter and olive oil by sauteeing the onions in a pan prepared with non-stick cooking spray and only adding a little bit of skim milk to smooth out the mashed potatoes, rather than adding the butter. I omitted the salt and sugar, as well, and used veggie bacon. The flavors were wonderful, and it fit in well with Thanksgiving dinner. Thank you!
- 3 sweet potatoes (medium or large)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter (split)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- salt (I start with 1t)
- sugar (a touch, if needed) or maple syrup (a touch, if needed)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sweet potatoes at 450 for about 1 hour or until soft.
- While potatoes are baking, CARAMELIZE ONIONS:.
- Stirring occasionally, sautee onions, shallot and garlic in 1-2T butter and 1-2T olive oil over medium low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until onions are very soft. (Don't let the garlic burn or it will be very bitter.).
- Add balsamic vinegar and scrape up any bits that may have formed from caramelized onions.
- Set aside.
- Carefully peel and mash baked sweet potatoes(we use a whisk).
- After tasting, Add 2 tablespoons butter, milk, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Taste and adjust ingredients.
- Place sweet potatoes in an 8x8 casserole or a loaf pan and top with balsamic onions.
- Bake, covered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes. (Increase bake time if casserole is coming from the fridge).
- Top with crumbled bacon and asiago and bake uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Top with green onions and serve.