1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Natalia 3's Note:
This is an easy recipe for those who enjoy the natural flavor of sweet potatoes with a savory twist. The sweet potatoes are doctored up just enough to bring out their own flavor. The amounts will vary depending on how flavorful your potatoes are. For this reason, all ingredients are "TO TASTE", whether quantities are specified or not :) Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 sweet potatoes (medium or large)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter (split)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt (I start with 1t)
- sugar (a touch, if needed) or maple syrup (a touch, if needed)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1Cook sweet potatoes at 450 for about 1 hour or until soft.
- 2While potatoes are baking, CARAMELIZE ONIONS:.
- 3Stirring occasionally, sautee onions, shallot and garlic in 1-2T butter and 1-2T olive oil over medium low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until onions are very soft. (Don't let the garlic burn or it will be very bitter.).
- 4Add balsamic vinegar and scrape up any bits that may have formed from caramelized onions.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Carefully peel and mash baked sweet potatoes(we use a whisk).
- 7After tasting, Add 2 tablespoons butter, milk, salt, pepper and sugar.
- 8Taste and adjust ingredients.
- 9Place sweet potatoes in an 8x8 casserole or a loaf pan and top with balsamic onions.
- 10Bake, covered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes. (Increase bake time if casserole is coming from the fridge).
- 11Top with crumbled bacon and asiago and bake uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- 12Top with green onions and serve.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potatoes With Balsamic Onions, Bacon, Asiago and Scallions
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.6
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 323.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: