Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Sweet potato dish that you cook in the crockpot, giving you more time to concentrate on the turkey! Great autumn side dish. Taken from the Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or 6 medium yams, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, toasted and chopped
- Place sweet potatoes in a 2 to 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
Well orchestrated side dish! I prepped it the night before and put them in the pot at the same time I put the turkey in the oven. (4AM - yawn...) I liked the change from the usual _so-syrupy-sweet-that-your-teeth-ache_ yams. I used unsweetened applesauce and perhaps should have bumped up the sugar amount some to compensate. Next time ... Thanks for sharing your recipe!
This was really good. I did not add nuts and used 1/2 as much splenda brown sugar instead of regular. My guests loved it and it took up no oven space.