Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the most fabulous and delicious sweet potato recipe I have ever made, a refreshing change from the marshmallow or candied dishes. It's perfect with rich holiday meats like turkey, goose, ham and other roasted pork... and it's sooooo easy. I made it for Thanksgiving; but it would be equally wonderful for Christmas, a unique addition to the holiday table!
- 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 10 coconut macaroons (like the Archway size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- Heat sweet potatoes in their liquid in a saucepan over medium heat until hot, then drain.
- Mash in the butter, then add the brown sugar, marmalade, salt and Amaretto liqueur.
- Transfer mixture into a greased 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop coconut macaroons coarsely.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, then add macaroons and the 1 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur.
- Stir to combine over low heat, crumbling the macaroons further.
- Sprinkle the macaroon topping over the prepared sweet potato mixture; then bake assembled casserole until warmed through, about 30 minutes.
This was so easy to make and was it ever delicious! Wow! We will now make this a permanent part of our holiday meals. This would be great for a pot luck dinner, too. Glad you posted it, EdsGirlAngie! Thanks! The Nickel family in NC