Recipe by NannyMarvel
This is a wonderfully different sweet potato recipe. I got it from Eula Mae's Cajun Kitchen recipe book. Part of the recipe can be made ahead. If large sweet potatoes are all you can find, cut them in halves lengthwise or into quarters after you have baked and peeled them.
- 8 small sweet potatoes or 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- cooking spray
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and arrange sweet potatoes on it. Prick each one a couple of times with a sharp knife. Bake until just barely tender, about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the potatoes. Remove from oven, let cool and peel.
- With a pastry brush, coat each sweet potato with orange juice. Place on a baking sheet, freeze until firm, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap, wrapping one or two potatoes together. Place wrapped potatoes in heavy zipper plastic freezer bag or container. Freeze up to one month.
- When ready to serve, thaw wrapped potatoes in refrigerator overnight or unwrap and thaw at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray with cooking spray a baking dish or pan large enough to hold potatoes in a single layer. Combine raw sugar, cinnamon and mace in a large shallow dish. Roll each potato in the sugar mixture to coat evenly. Arrange potatoes in baking dish.
- Pour 1 cup orange juice into bottom of baking dish with potatoes. Scatter butter bits evenly over top of potatoes. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and baste potatoes with pan juices. Serve warm.