Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This makes a fairly sweet sauce, it is popular with us for holiday meals.
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place sweet potatoes in a large kettle and add water to cover.
- Cook over medium heat until barely tender; drain.
- Peel and cut potatoes into fourths.
- Arrange in a medium size casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine sugars, ginger and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Add pineapple juice and lemon juice.
- Stir over medium heat until sugars are dissolved and mixture starts to bubble; stir in butter.
- Pour sauce over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered 50 to 60 min or until sauce is thickened.
The recipe creates an ample sweet and syrupy sauce. If you like your sweet potatoes sweet then this is a good dish for you. I served it with another recipe called Ham and Cheese Pockets. It would make a good accompaniment to a Holiday ham or turkey.