Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rich and citrusy, the perfect side dish for a winter meal. Top with vegan whip cream for a tasty dessert!
- 3 large oranges (to be juiced)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons vegan margarine
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice (from oranges above)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- Cut oranges in half and juice them. You should measure 3/4 cup orange juice. If you don't have enough, supplement with packaged orange juice.
- Scoop out orange halves and save the shells. Set aside.
- Wash sweet potatoes and prick in several spots. Place potatoes on a paper towel and microwave on HIGH for 12-15 minutes or until very soft.
- Peel potatoes (be careful!). Scoop potato pulp into a large bowl.
- Mash with margarine, orange juice, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and zest. Mash and mix until smooth.
- Set orange shells into a casserole or microwaveable serving platter with high sides (to hold the oranges upright). Fill shells with potato mixture.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes or until warm.
I used yams rather than sweet potatoes, and baked then rather than microwaved. I doubled the recipe to take to a potluck, but found that I got all the juice I needed from an orange and a half, so I have a big bowl of mutilated orange pulp from scooping it out of the other shells. I used fresh ginger. I would recommend cooking the potatoes early in the day, and then peeling them when totally cooled, because my poor hand is bright red, and to be honest, the taste wasn't really worth it. The spices are good, but overall, these are pretty bland. We don't have any whip cream on hand, maybe they would be better with that. Sorry, and thanks for the idea.