Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found this recipe in a book from 1952. Looks really good and a cute idea for presentation. Guessing on times. Please update me if you make it! I added the cooking time of the potatoes to the recipe via microwave oven
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3 large oranges
- 6 marshmallows, quartered
- Combine sweet potatoes, butter, salt and orange juice.
- Mix well.
- Cut oranges in halves, crosswise and remove juice and pulp.
- (Use part of this juice to mash in the potatoes.) Scrub shells well.
- Fill with the mashed potatoes and decorate with marshmallows.
- Bake in hot oven.
- 400F about 15 minutes.
My MIL made this last Thansgiving, it is to die for!! exact same recipe, we have all begged her to make it again this year,she is one of those people that always says she can't find the recipe! but now I can make my own!! TRY this!
The flavor of the sweet potatoes was delicious. A little time consuming with the orange rinds and couldn't quite get what to do with the marshmallows, I think next time I'll sprinkle with brown sugar. Were a bit hit!
We love these! I make them a bit differently, though. I add condensed milk, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, & cinnamon to the potatoes. After filling, I sprinkle the tops with chopped pecans, and bake for 20 minutes. Then I top with mini marshmallows & bake another 20 minutes. A little water in the bottom of the dish keeps them from drying out too much. Thanks!