Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Add in a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little heat is desired, you can also bake these in the oven --- these may be prepared hours in advance placed in the foil pan and refrigerated just drizzle on the orange juice before grilling :)
Top Review by Chef PotPie
Another great recipe, Kitten, as always! I made these for ZWT5 for myself because hubby doesn't like sweet potatoes. (His mom always made them whipped with a ton of brown sugar.) But THIS recipe, with just enough sugar and the cayenne...well, he loved them! I was a little surprised! He said he would eat them any time when made this way. And I loved them, too. I didn't have an aluminum pan, so I just did them in the oven covered for 15 minutes, then uncovered for another 15, adding just a bit more fresh squeezed orange juice, as I think fresh squeezed is an important factor for taste, (2 tablespoons or so.) They were moist, perfectly sweet and spicy. Next time I will leave off the thyme, somehow we just can't wrap our tongues around it with these tropical recipes, but that's just a personal preference. Thanks, Kitten!
- 453.59 g sweet potato, peeled
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flavors)
- 1.23-2.46 ml lemon pepper (or use freshly ground black pepper to taste)
- 29.58 ml butter, finely diced
- 78.07 ml orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Generously grease a heavy medium size shallow disposable foil pan.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into thick slices, then place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar with thyme and lemon pepper; sprinkle over the potato slices in the bowl and toss to coat.
- Arrange the slices in layers into the pan.
- Dot with butter (at this point you may refrigerate until ready to grill).
- Pour the orange juice over the top.
- Cover with foil.
- Place on the grill, then cover with the grill lid.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, then remove the foil and do a test for doneness, if needed cook for additional time until they are to your liking, you may need to add in more orange juice if potatoes begin to dry out.