Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 34 mins
From Juliette Elkon's A Belgian Cookbook. Posted for ZWT 7. Don't worry about the alcohol used to prepare this dish, it will have burned off during the cooking. The cooking time includes the 1 hour marinating time.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- fat (for deep frying)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups light beer
- Blend flour and beer until a smooth batter has been obtained. and set aside.
- Blanch sweet potatoes for 5 minutes in boiling water.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes.
- Combine honey, brandy and lemon peel.
- Marinate sweet potatoes for 1 hour in this mixture.
- Without drying slices, dip them in the batter.
- Fry them in batches in the deep fat heated to 390F until golden brown.
- Serve very hot.
We love sweet potatoes, and this is no exception. We did use the brandy, and this added a whole new depth of taste. Yummy to the 5th degree and full 10 stars on this. I didn't change one thing, and used my sweet potatoes from the garden. Thanks for such a comforting dish, totally in presentation, and great for company. Made for ZWT7