Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Sweet potatoes have always been one of my favorite root veggies. My family has always eaten them sweet. Candied, caramel, brown sugar, baked with butter and cinnamon...dessert recipes by the ton. I know a lot of different ways to eat them are out there, but this is another one of my favorite ways. I didn't know that it was called "chantilly" until my gourmet class.
Top Review by rosslare
Really yummy, the brown sugar and whipped cream form a caramel crust on top. I did not add sugar to the potatoes, but a little salt and vanilla, and used much less milk, like 1/4 cup.
- 1 (17 ounce) can sweet potatoes or 1 (17 ounce) can yams, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 cup milk, scalded
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- granulated sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the sweet potatoes until creamy. Add the butter and granulated sugar to taste; mix well.
- Add the milk gradually and beat until smooth and fluffy. Spoon into a greased baking dish. Spread the whipped cream over the potatoes. Sift the brown sugar over the cream.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.