- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan combine heavy cream and chipotle chile peppers. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes and strain.
- Stem and seed the chiles. In a blender puree the heavy cream with the chiles until smooth.
- In a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, spread out one-third of the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the potatoes and season with grated nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour about 1 cup of the heavy cream over the potatoes and cheese.
- Repeat procedure two more times ending with cheese on top, only using enough cream to just cover the potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and browned.