Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's something different to try. Enjoy.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan combine heavy cream and chipotle chile peppers. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes and strain.
- Stem and seed the chiles. In a blender puree the heavy cream with the chiles until smooth.
- In a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, spread out one-third of the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the potatoes and season with grated nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour about 1 cup of the heavy cream over the potatoes and cheese.
- Repeat procedure two more times ending with cheese on top, only using enough cream to just cover the potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and browned.
This is my favorite recipe for kicked up, spicy sweet potatoes. I made it for several get-togethers and it was always a hit. I have also used monterey jack chees in place of the gruyere cheese. The best!
Outstanding recipe! Very rich, flavorful and delicious! I used chipotle powder instead of dried chipotles. I heated the cream in the microwave and whisked in the powder. Then assembled and baked as directed. Fantastic holiday dish. Thanks for sharing!
This was good and very different. I skipped the boiling step and used jalapeno peppers since that was what I had. We liked the heat that they brought to the dish. Scaled this down for the two of us and used 1/2 and 1/2 to cut some of the calories. Thanks