Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tasty way of cooking root vegetables. It can be served as a side-dish to accompany roast chicken, or can be topped with thick Greek yoghurt and served as a starter with warm bread
- 500 g baby carrots
- 500 g sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 75 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1⁄4 cup clear honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Wash and trim the carrots. It should not be necessary to peel the carrots. Peel the sweet potatoes and slice thickly.
- Put carrots and potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water and boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables in a colander.
- Mix the honey, butter, oil and spices in a bowl. Put the vegetables into a baking dish.
- Set the oven to 220C.
- Brush the vegetables with the butter mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until tender, basting the vegetables with the remainder of the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle the cooked vegetables with chopped parsley or coriander leaves and serve.
I'm always looking for new recipe ideas for vegetables so thought I'd give this a go. I've done honeyed carrots before but never thought of adding sweet potato too. I left out the cumin seeds as I didn't have any but otherwise made as directed. Went well with our roast lamb dinner. Thanks!