Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 cups thinly sliced tart apples or 3 large tart apples
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced or 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Place apples in a large bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Add the sweet potatoes, syrup, butter, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring once.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and vinegar; sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
- Nutritional Facts 1 serving equals 130 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
- Originally published as Sweet Potatoes and Apples Au Gratin in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p41.