Recipe by Sydney Mike
The original of this recipe was found in the 2008 cookbook, Taste of Home Guilt Free Cooking. Preparation time does not incude the 2 hours needed for the dough to rise.
Top Review by duonyte
Light and tender rolls. I threw everything into the bread machine, but forgot the sugar. I think a little sugar would have enhanced the flavor, but loved them even without it. The rolls were a beautiful gold color from the sweet potato. I used one whole egg, instead of just the yolks, and skipped the glaze and seeds, simply because of a lack of time. The rolls were just lovely.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup nonfat milk, warm (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sweet potato, cooked, cold, mashed
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar (again!)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk, then add 1 teaspoon of sugar & let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, butter, salt, the 1/3 cup sugar & only 2 cups of the flour.
- Beat util smooth, then stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough ~ All of the last 2 cups of flour might not be used!
- Turn onto a floured surface & knead until smooth & elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top.
- Cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down, then turn onto a lightly floured surface & divide into 30 balls.
- Roll each ball into a 10" rope, then tie each rope into a loose knot.
- Place the knots of dough 2" apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Cover & let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before the rising is finished, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites & cold water. Brush this egg wash over the rolls, then sprinkle each with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.