Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've been making this for years, but just decided to share it now. I do the same with pumpkin or mashed potato or a mix of any of the 3. Leftovers of these work well too, though you would need to allow a little extra cooking time to allow them to reheat through. Cooking time includes the approximate time needed to boil the sweet potato.
- Boil the sweet potato until tender.
- Drain, mash with the sour cream, season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Place in a casserole dish (about 9 inches by 9inches), smooth out.
- Mix together the eggs, cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour this gently over the mash, tilting the dish to get a good even coverage.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese, then the diced bacon.
- Place in a 190c (350f) oven and bake until the top is golden and the egg mixture is set-about 30 minutes.
Yum! I had some leftover bacon, onion mixture from a gravy so used that to top this. I used cream in lieu sour cream but otherwise made as directed..Little Miss DD demolished this and asked for more and I thoroughly enjoyed it too..simple to do but tastes divine. Thanks Jan!
I made this as a side dish..its really filling and would be great as a lunch. I used lite sour cream, the amount of sweet potato I used was approx 750 gms.
This was very good. I then repeated the recipe with the adaptation of leaving out the nutmeg and stirring in a good heaped tablespoon of hot horseradish sauce. This gives it a real zing.