Recipe by Sharon123
Ease into your morning with this breakfast treat!I got this out of a Southern Living magazine.
Top Review by Geema
These waffles are spectacular, Sharon. The sweet potato flavor is subtle, but discernable. I hope you don't mind, but I made some hot brown sugar,buttered pecan sauce for the topping, which made these taste like sweet potato pie or my favorite thanksgiving sweet potato casserole. I think I'll always be baking some extra potatoes with just this recipe in mind. Good job Sharon!
- 473.18 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml cream of tartar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 354.88 ml cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 236.59 ml milk
- 59.14 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, melted
- 29.58 ml grated orange rind
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 14.79 ml orange rind
- orange slice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, sweet potatoes, and next 4 ingredients; stir into flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into batter (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter on a preheated oiled waffle iron, and cook until lightly browned (I'm not sure exactly how long this takes).
- Serve waffles with Orange Butter and honey.
- Garnish, if desired, with orange slices.
- Yield: 8 (8-inch) waffles.
- Orange Butter: Combine ingredients at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended.
- Yield: 1/2 cup.