Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Ease into your morning with this breakfast treat!I got this out of a Southern Living magazine.
Make and share this Sweet Potato Waffles with Orange Butter recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange rind
- orange slice
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, sweet potatoes, and next 4 ingredients; stir into flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into batter (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter on a preheated oiled waffle iron, and cook until lightly browned (I'm not sure exactly how long this takes).
- Serve waffles with Orange Butter and honey.
- Garnish, if desired, with orange slices.
- Yield: 8 (8-inch) waffles.
- Orange Butter: Combine ingredients at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended.
- Yield: 1/2 cup.
These waffles are spectacular, Sharon. The sweet potato flavor is subtle, but discernable. I hope you don't mind, but I made some hot brown sugar,buttered pecan sauce for the topping, which made these taste like sweet potato pie or my favorite thanksgiving sweet potato casserole. I think I'll always be baking some extra potatoes with just this recipe in mind. Good job Sharon!