Sweet potato gives these waffles a nice golden peach color and wonderful flavour. They are crispy on the outside and soft in the inside. Sweet potatoes provide almost half the recommened daily allowance of Vitamin C and two to five times the recommened amount of Beta Carotene!
- In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and spices.
- In seperate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, sweet potato, oil and orange rind.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, stir together until just moistened.
- In a bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add sugar, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter; pour batter onto a heated nonstick lightly greased waffle iron.
- Cook until golden brown until waffle iron stops steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Yield 12 waffles.
- NOTE: These waffles freeze well; After freezing, just microwave them for about 30 seconds and pop them briefly into the toaster.