Recipe by hauckster
This was in the November 2006 Food and Wine magazine. Courtesy of Michael Laiskonis (pastry chef at Le Bernardin). The caramel is the only tricky part of this recipe. I serve it with just a little unsweetened whip cream on the side.
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 (1 lb) sweet potatoes (1 pound each)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE THE TART SHELL: Preheat the oven to 350°. In a food processor, combine the almonds and granulated sugar and process until the nuts are finely ground. Add the butter and egg and process until creamy, scraping down the side of the bowl. Add the flour and baking powder and process just until a dough forms, scraping down the side of the bowl. Using your fingers, press the dough evenly into a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Line the tart shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the tart shell for about 25 minutes, or until it is just set. Carefully remove the aluminum foil and pie weights and bake the tart shell for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the shell is crisp and lightly browned all over. Let cool slightly.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FILLING: Poke the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and roast them in the oven alongside the tart shell for about 1 hour, or until they are soft. Let the potatoes cool. Turn the oven temperature down to 325°.
- Peel and puree the sweet potatoes; you should have about 1 1/2 cups (reserve any leftovers for another use). In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the granulated sugar and light brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla seeds until smooth. Add the 1 1/2 cups of sweet potato puree along with the heavy cream and milk and whisk until blended.
- Pour the filling into the tart shell and bake for 20 minutes. Using strips of foil or a 10-inch pie crust ring, cover the rim of the tart shell to prevent overbrowning. Bake the tart for about 40 minutes longer, or until the filling is set. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
- MAKE THE CARAMEL: In a medium saucepan, bring the granulated sugar and water to a boil over moderately high heat, washing down the side of the pan with a moistened pastry brush. Cook without stirring until a pale-amber caramel forms, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully add the red wine. Cook, stirring to dissolve the hardened caramel, until it is slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Transfer the caramel to a pitcher and serve warm over tart.