Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
Delicious Tårta from Aquavit: and the New Scandinavian Cuisine by Marcus Samuelsson, probably the most famous Scandinavian Chef in the United States.
Top Review by Sooz Cooks
Absolutely delicious. I made this dish for Thanksgiving dinner and we all loved it, including the babies. I was a bit afraid of the orange from a previous review, but followed the recipe exactly anyway. In the end, the sweet potatoes were beautifully nestled in a sweet creamy sauce with just a hint of cinnamon and orange. This is not just a holiday dish as it would be a great side dish with any nice meal and we will have this often.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 (4 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and slice very thin
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9 ½" - deep dish - pie plate or round 2 quart baking dish with butter.
- Combine zest, juice, cream, honey, cinnamon, and tarragon in medium saucepan and bring JUST to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Layer potatoes in pie plate or dish, pouring some cream mixture over each layer and seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Pour any remaining liquid over last layer of potatoes.
- Bake 1 to 1 ½ hours, until potatoes are tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Cut into wedges and serve.