Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious Tårta from Aquavit: and the New Scandinavian Cuisine by Marcus Samuelsson, probably the most famous Scandinavian Chef in the United States.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9 ½" - deep dish - pie plate or round 2 quart baking dish with butter.
- Combine zest, juice, cream, honey, cinnamon, and tarragon in medium saucepan and bring JUST to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Layer potatoes in pie plate or dish, pouring some cream mixture over each layer and seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Pour any remaining liquid over last layer of potatoes.
- Bake 1 to 1 ½ hours, until potatoes are tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Absolutely delicious. I made this dish for Thanksgiving dinner and we all loved it, including the babies. I was a bit afraid of the orange from a previous review, but followed the recipe exactly anyway. In the end, the sweet potatoes were beautifully nestled in a sweet creamy sauce with just a hint of cinnamon and orange. This is not just a holiday dish as it would be a great side dish with any nice meal and we will have this often.
If you or your guests are not fond of oranges I wouldn't recommend this recipe. It was quite good, however, I was expecting a more subtle orange flavor. The recipe does have an orange flavor that overpowers every other component, and personally, I really enjoyed it. My family and my guests were not so into it as they thought it was too orangy. It is a bit time consuming to make as well. Overall, I liked the flavor but most everyone else didn't care for it and I have a ton leftover. This recipe is for those who really enjoy oranges and sweet potatoes, unfortunately that didn't apply to my guests.
Wow, this was just SO delicious: a fabulous blend of flavours! And for something that tasted so delicious, it was wonderfully quick to prepare and the instructions were really easy to follow. I used reduced fat cream hoping this might just slightly lower the calories. I’ll certainly be making this again!