Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
A fun fall dish.
- 5 medium cooking apples
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, divided
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Core apples, without cutting through to the opposite end.
- Scoop out pulp to increase opening to 2-inches.
- Chop pulp and set aside.
- Put each apple shell on a 7-inch square piece of foil.
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped apple, 2 tablespoons almonds, mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the apple shells; top with remaining almonds.
- Pull foil up around the sides of the apples; place apples in a greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender.