1/2 Photos of Sweet Potato/Streusel Pie With Cornmeal Pastry
1 hr 25 mins
The absolute best sweet potato pie recipe around. I have been making this forever. It has a fantastic flaky, melt-in-your-mouth cornmeal crust, with a delicious streusel topping...this is well-worth the effort to prepare, and actually is not hard to make, just takes a bit of time.
My Private Note
deep di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Crisco shortening, plus
- 1 tablespoon Crisco shortening
- 2 -3 tablespoons very cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (made with NO added ingredients)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1To prepare the pastry: Prepare a deep-dish 10-inch pie plate.
- 2Mix flour, cornmeal and salt in a medium bowl.
- 3Cut in the shortening, using a pastry blender, until size of small peas.
- 4Sprinkle with cold water (1 tbsp at a time), tossing with a fork until all flour is moistened, and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl (1-2 tsp of extra water may be added if necessary).
- 5Gather the pastry into a ball.
- 6Shape into flattened round onto lightly floured surface.
- 7Roll out pastry into a circle 2-inches larger than the outer sides of the deep-dish pie plate.
- 8Place the pastry into pie plate; pressing firmly against bottom and sides.
- 9Trim and flute pastry edge.
- 10Heat oven to 425°F.
- 11Set oven rack to lowest position.
- 12In a bowl, beat eggs well.
- 13Stir in all remaining filling ingredients; mix well.
- 14Pour into prepared pastry-lined pie plate.
- 15Bake for 15 minutes.
- 16Meanwhile, prepare streusel topping by mixing all four ingredients.
- 17Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- 18Bake for 35 minutes longer.
- 19Remove from oven; sprinkle streusel topping over pie.
- 20Bake about 10 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted in center, comes out clean.
- 21Cool completely on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- 22Serve with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato/Streusel Pie With Cornmeal Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (1694 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3598.7
- Calories from Fat 1474
- Total Fat 163.8 g
- Saturated Fat 52.8 g
- Cholesterol 575.3 mg
- Sodium 2635.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 484.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.2 g
- Sugars 260.8 g
- Protein 65.7 g