Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
The absolute best sweet potato pie recipe around. I have been making this forever. It has a fantastic flaky, melt-in-your-mouth cornmeal crust, with a delicious streusel topping...this is well-worth the effort to prepare, and actually is not hard to make, just takes a bit of time.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup Crisco shortening, plus
- 1 tablespoon Crisco shortening
- 2 -3 tablespoons very cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (made with NO added ingredients)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To prepare the pastry: Prepare a deep-dish 10-inch pie plate.
- Mix flour, cornmeal and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the shortening, using a pastry blender, until size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water (1 tbsp at a time), tossing with a fork until all flour is moistened, and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl (1-2 tsp of extra water may be added if necessary).
- Gather the pastry into a ball.
- Shape into flattened round onto lightly floured surface.
- Roll out pastry into a circle 2-inches larger than the outer sides of the deep-dish pie plate.
- Place the pastry into pie plate; pressing firmly against bottom and sides.
- Trim and flute pastry edge.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Set oven rack to lowest position.
- In a bowl, beat eggs well.
- Stir in all remaining filling ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into prepared pastry-lined pie plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare streusel topping by mixing all four ingredients.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake for 35 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle streusel topping over pie.
- Bake about 10 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted in center, comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.
This pie was delicious! The cornmeal crust was very flaky, and was a bit hard to roll out...so I just pat it in the pan and it worked out great! This pie was so good cold the next day. In case anyone is wondering, 2 cups of sweet potatoes is 1 large yam/sweetpotato. I can't believe I am the first to rate this! Thanks for posting.