Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Serve this warm, comforting stew after a long day with chopped dry-roasted peanuts and a squeeze of lime.
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Combine everything but the peanut butter in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on LOW 7 hours or until veggies are tender.
- Put peanut butter in a small bowl.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid while whisking.
- Pour back into stew; stir well.
This was a hit! The only change I made was the addition of a chopped chipotle chili because I didn't have tomatoes with green chilies on hand. My husband really liked it. I, however, would have liked a bit more flavour. I think I will add more cumin and maybe some smoked paprika the next time I make it.