1 hr 15 mins
Delicious Moroccan casserole, perfect for a cold day. From The Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium onions
- 6 tablespoons light olive oil
- 600 g sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, quartered, de-seeded and cut into thick strips
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 -3 tsp ras al hanout or moroccan mixed spice
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200 g spinach, fresh or frozen
- 250 ml sour cream or 250 ml plain yogurt
- 1Peel two of the onions and cut each into eight wedges.
- 2Pour 4 tbsp of the oil in a large roasting tin.
- 3Add the onion, cubed sweet potatoes and peppers and mix well with the oil.
- 4Turn the oven to 200c/400F/Gas 6, put the tin in the oven and roast the vegetables for about 35 minutes, turning them half way through.
- 5Meanwhile peel and roughly chop the other onion.
- 6Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion until it begins to soften.
- 7Add the garlic and spice mix and stir well.
- 8Add the tinned tomatoes and their juice, breaking them up if necessary with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- 9Stir in the stock, then check the seasoning adding salt and a little sugar to taste.
- 10Stir in the chickpeas.
- 11When the vegetables have been cooking for 35 minutes, pour over the spiced tomatoes and chickpeas and mix well.
- 12Turn the oven temperature down to 190C/375F/Gas5 and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are well cooked, turning them half way through.
- 13Just before the end of the cooking time, wash the spinach, remove any rough stalks, slice them finely and stir them into the bake.
- 14Return the tin to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- 15Serve with sour cream or yoghurt.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato, Spinach and Chickpea Bake
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.6
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 458.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: