Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 29.58 ml butter
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 1 medium leek, sliced (WHITE AND PALE GREEN PARTS ONLY)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1182.95 ml sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 354.88 ml half-and-half
- 29.58 ml pure maple syrup
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped celery stalks and leeks and sauté until onion is translucent for about five minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon and nutmeg; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pot.
- Add half and half and maple syrup and stir over medium-low heat to heat soup through.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- You can garnish the soup with celery leaves.
This is a great recipe - I saw it on foodtv a couple of years ago... Now I use it in my catering and sell it to a couple of coffeeshops. The peeps seem to love it! (I find it too sweet for my tastes, so I only use 1 tbsp maple syrup when I cook it for us, and I use only half of the half and half. It's still really good when you cut down the cream.)
Very nice recipe. The maple in it isvery creative!
Ashley U WOW!! 5 stars not enough. This was wonderful. I made it a day ahead up until the addition of the half & half and maple syrup. Then when I reheated it for dinner I added the milk and maple syrup.The dinner party guests loved it. I love leeks and sweet potatoes so this was a keeper for me. Thanks again.