Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This is a beautifully seasoned and easy to prepare sweet potato soup that surrounds a bed of rice. The simple ingredients meld together perfectly without one ingredient overpowering the other. You can control the amount of heat by adding more or less jalapeno seeds. Truly a gourmet soup in appearance and taste that is ready in minutes! This recipe was created for RSC #8.
Top Review by ckarbousky
This was wonderful! I admit, I have never tried sweet potato soup before, and I was a little afraid to even try it, but I am so glad I did! I made it exactly as directed, using the vegetable stock, an entire jalapeno and the coconut milk options. Even my husband loved it and he despises anything with coconut. I only pureed half the soup so as to leave it with some texture.
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened grated coconut or 1⁄2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced thin (if you like your soup on the spicy side you can add some or all of the jalapeno seeds)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (or more if you want a creamier soup)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwavable measuring cup or container, microwave 1 cup of chicken broth on high for 4 minutes or until it reaches a boil. Add 1/3 cup coconut and set aside to cool. (Omit this step if using canned coconut milk).
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and jalapeno and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, remaining 3 cups of chicken stock, salt and ginger. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes partially covered.
- Meanwhile, cook one cup of long-grain rice according to the package’s directions.
- If using fresh cocolnut, strain the coconut and squeeze to extract as much liquid as possible and add the liquid to the soup. If using canned, add it now. Stir in sour cream and remove from heat.
- At this point you can puree the soup or just ladle it into a bowl with a mound of rice in the center.