Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Entered for safe-keeping. This is from Donald Gazzinaga's "The No-Salt, Lowest Sodium Light Meals Cookbook", and uses 2 other recipes by Don Gazzinaga to keep the sodium to a minimum: Vegetable Stock With Low Sodium #334800 or Maureen's Chicken Broth With Very Low Sodium #335057 which uses Don's Flavor Enhancer With Very Low Sodium #334780.
- 709.77 ml sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 0 large fresh red bell pepper, chopped
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml gingerroot, grated or 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk
- 473.18 ml very- low sodium chicken broth (such as Recipe #335057 #335057) or 473.18 ml very- low sodium vegetable broth (such as Vegetable Stock With Low Sodium #334800)
- 14.79 ml natural maple syrup or 4.92 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- fresh sliced red pepper, for garnish (optional)
- fresh parsley sprig, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium soup pot or stockpot, boil the sweet potatoes in their jackets about 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and remove jackets. Return potatoes to stockpot.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper on medium heat in 2 teaspoons of olive oil until translucent. Sprinkle with the white pepper and cook an additional minute. Add onion mixture to the sweet potatoes.
- Add the spices and stir thoroughly.
- Using a handheld mixer or a blender or a food processor, blend the mixture until smooth while adding the milk.
- Add the broth/stock and the maple syrup.
- Heat gently until the soup is warm. Stir frequently and do not allow to boil.
- Serve hot. Garnish each serving with sliced red bell peppers or parsley sprigs.
I LOVED this; I'm so glad I made the whole recipe. Savory, yet slightly sweet, and no salt needed! I didn't have ground cloves, so I subbed a dash of Allspice. Garnished with browned butter croutons made from KateL's Whole Wheat Bread With Ginger & Cashews for ABM, and also minced mini red peppers. Tagged for Rookie Recipes, due 01/24/14.