1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Soup With Low Sodium
1 hr 10 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. This is from Donald Gazzinaga's "The No-Salt, Lowest Sodium Light Meals Cookbook", and uses 2 other recipes by Don Gazzinaga to keep the sodium to a minimum: Vegetable Stock With Low Sodium #334800 or Maureen's Chicken Broth With Very Low Sodium #335057 which uses Don's Flavor Enhancer With Very Low Sodium #334780.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77 ml sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 0 large fresh red bell pepper, chopped
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml gingerroot, grated or 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk
- 473.18 ml very- low sodium chicken broth (such as Maureen's Chicken Broth With Very Low Sodium #335057) or 473.18 ml very- low sodium vegetable broth (such as Vegetable Stock With Low Sodium #334800)
- 14.79 ml natural maple syrup or 4.92 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- fresh sliced red pepper, for garnish (optional)
- fresh parsley sprig, for garnish (optional)
- 1In a medium soup pot or stockpot, boil the sweet potatoes in their jackets about 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and remove jackets. Return potatoes to stockpot.
- 2Meanwhile, saute the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper on medium heat in 2 teaspoons of olive oil until translucent. Sprinkle with the white pepper and cook an additional minute. Add onion mixture to the sweet potatoes.
- 3Add the spices and stir thoroughly.
- 4Using a handheld mixer or a blender or a food processor, blend the mixture until smooth while adding the milk.
- 5Add the broth/stock and the maple syrup.
- 6Heat gently until the soup is warm. Stir frequently and do not allow to boil.
- 7Serve hot. Garnish each serving with sliced red bell peppers or parsley sprigs.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Soup With Low Sodium
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.0
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 124.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 6.3 g