Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rich, smooth, spicy soup. Great winter warm-up. Harissa is a Moroccan chili paste
Make and share this Sweet Potato Soup With Harissa & Spinach recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or 2 medium yams, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 ounces baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- Heat oil in dutch oven over med-high heat. Add leeks and saute 5-7 minutes. stir in tomato paste, peanut butter, harissa, garlic, turmeric, and cumin cook 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add broth, sweet potatoes, and 1 1/2 c water. Simmer over med-low heat, partially covered for 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and blend mixture with immersion blender (add more water if too thick). Bring soup back to a simmer and stir in spinach.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
We ended up fighting over the last dregs of soup - this is that good. And that's without the spinach, which I completely forgot about. The peanut butter is not really identifiable but adds a creamy undertone to the whole. The sweetness of the leeks and sweet potato, the spiciness of the harissa - this is just wonderful.