Recipe by Sarah Chana
My lovely cousin Sima made this soup for me while we visited recently, and it was totally nurturing at every level. I made it for my family upon my return and ALL of them loved it; no small feat. On top of that it is easy, forgiving, and quick. May all of your homes be comforted by it too.
- 3 yams, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 small winter squash, peeled and cut into large pieces (or use a smaller part of a large squash)
- 1 -2 carrot, peeled and cut into large pieces
- salt (no MSG!) or chicken bouillon powder, to taste (no MSG!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all veggies in a soup pot.
- Cover with water, and then add about 2 more inches of water.
- Cover and cook on medium to high heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until veggies are soft, but not necessarily mushy.
- Add consomme mix or salt, mix, adjust to taste.
- Cook another few minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth, or with only a few chunks.