Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is some of the most delicious soup I've ever tasted. I got the recipe (and my first sample) from Food Dabbler Willy at our local Whole Foods Market.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (baked and peeled)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (as hot as you like it)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- chopped basil (or other optional garnish)
- Bake the potatoes at 375 F until they're soft and mashable. It should take about 45-60 minutes. (Do the other stuff while the potatoes are baking.).
- Get a large soup pot and heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook them until they're transparent (five minutes or so).
- Stir in the curry powder. Cook for another minute while stirring.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a couple of minutes. Make sure to stir it so nothing sticks to the bottom and burns.
- Stir in the peanut butter and coconut milk.
- Add the veggie stock and bring it all to a simmer. Leave it to cook while the potatoes are baking.
- When the potatoes are tender enough to mash, and cool enough to hold, take off the skins and mash up the potatoes. Add them to the soup.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, stirring. Enjoy!
Easy and delicious! I didn't have any tomato paste so I just left it out - doesn't seem to have made a difference.
This soup was AMAZING! We loved the flavors, it was perfect. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for posting!
Left a review previously and forgot to give the recipe 5 stars. It's delicious and will become a staple in our meal rotations. I did add add a little bit of brown sugar at the end (about a tablespoon) to balance out the curry a bit.