Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Full of flavour!
Make and share this Sweet Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated ginger (, depending on your love of ginger)
- 1 -2 red chile, chopped (depending on your love of hot)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped or 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon grass in a jar
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Place sweet potato in a pot of boiling water and boil until tender.
- (10-15 minutes) Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add ginger, cumin, chillies and lemon grass, cook for 3 minutes.
- Place the sweet potato and spice mixture in a food processor or blender and process with a little of the stock until smooth.
- Place the mixture in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add remaining stock, coconut milk and brown sugar, stir until soup is simmering and hot.
- Stir through coriander and serve.
Quick, easy, tasty, healthy- what more could you want? I made it with lite coconut milk.
I used this for Thanksgiving leftovers with lots of substitutions:
1 Chicken stock, not veg stock,
2 Powdered spices, not fresh,
3 Leftover sour cream, not coconut milk,
4 Canned sweet potatoes, not fresh.
Results: its still good. Not as good as using fresh ingredients, which I've also done, but still quite good.
The big difference versus most American soups and chowders is using ginger/chile/cilantro vs. celery/onion/garlic. Also, there's no salt at all and you don't need it any.
This is an excellent recipe, though I made a few minor changes. 1) I used dried chili flakes (~1 tbls) rather then the chillies. 2) I used Chicken Stock rather then veg. 3) about a tablespoon of dried coriander instead of the fresh. The soup was excellent, though I had expected it to be a touch thicker then it was due the the last time I had a sweet potato soup.