Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A creamy, savory side dish. Try it for the holidays instead of the sweet, marshamallow-y casseroles.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled
- 5 eggs, SEPERATED whites and yolks
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Lightly grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish; set aside.
- Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into chunks. Cook (boil/steam) until tender and "mash-able." Drain very well.
- In a large bowl, cream the egg YOLKS and cream cheese with an electric mixer until creamy and pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Add the hot cooked, drained sweet potatoes and beat for about 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Add the salt, pepper, brown sugar, the parmesan cheese and thyme and process for 1 more minute, until well mixed.
- Clean off the mixer beaters.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the egg WHITES with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks, about 3-4 minutes.
- Fold the stiffened egg whites into the sweet potato mixture 1/3 at a time, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour into the prepared 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and beginning to crack.
Loved this! Excellent light consistency and lots of flavor with only a hint of sweetness - will definitely keep and share this one. Thank you!