Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom's recipe, makes me remember when I was a kid.
- 3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts or 1⁄3 cup coconut
- Bake pricked sweet potatoes at 400°F until tender.
- Cool, peel and mash.
- Combine sweet potatoes with beaten egg yolks (reserve whites), sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, butter and milk. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff; carefully fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Pour into 2-quart greased baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top in decorative pattern.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.