Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If you want to wow your guests for the Holidays this will do it.
Make and share this Sweet Potato Souffle recipe from Food.com.
- 5 -6 baked peeled and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup coconut
- Bake sweet potatoes in oven until soft 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350°F Pierce with fork to test.
- Peel then mash with egg beater.
- Mix in each ingredient separately and beat after each addition until light and fluffy.
- Pour into 15x10-inch Pyrex pan or two 9x13-inch. Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes.
- This will puff up so don't have the pans too full.
- This freezes very well. If you use yams it is much dryer than using sweet potatoes.
- Serves 15.
Everybody raved about it! I used 6 huge sweet potatoes--cooked them in the microwave. Added some cinnamon and cloves. The topping worked fine--crumbled like it should. I used some extra brown sugar (a little left in the box so I just dumped it in). I was concerned about cooking time---had to cook it about an hour until it tested done like a pumpkin pie. Also--I was concerned about using an egg beater as is says in the recipe. I used the Kitchen Aid and really whipped it. Did not puff up, but did not matter. I used 2 9X13 pans.
This is a real gem; I could have eaten the whole pan all by myself! Initially, it seems like this recipe would be heavy and rich because of the added sugar and evaporated milk, but it is surprisingly light and perfectly sweet! It is a great recipe to add to your Thanksgiving menu because you can make it in advance, store it in the fridge while the turkey is cooking, and then cook it while the turkey is "resting." Thanks for the great recipe!!
This was fantastic. Definently more like a dessert than a side dish. I used 2% milk instead of the evap. milk & cut the butter in half in both the potatoes & the topping to a 1/2 stick (1/4c) each. Next time I will add only half a cup of the sugar in the potatoes.