1 hr 40 mins
The Pastry Queen Christmas
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 3/4 lb.)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized slices
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 400°; lightly grease a baking sheet.
- 2Prick the sweet potatoes for a few times with the tines of a fork; bake them on the prepared pan until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- 3Remove from oven; let cool to touch, about 10 minutes.
- 4Cut them in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh into a bowl, and lightly mash with a fork.
- 5Cover the bowl and refrigerate until cool, at least 20 minutes (warm potatoes will melt the butter, keeping the scones from attaining optimum lightness and tenderness).
- 6Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- 7In a big bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 8Use your hands or pastry cutter to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture until the dough is crumbly and contains lumps the size of small peas.
- 9Add the cooled sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup of cream and lightly stir into the flour mixture.
- 10Add the remaining 1/4 cup cream and the buttermilk and stir until just mixed (do not overwork the dough).
- 11Place dough on a lightly floured work surface; lightly coat your hands in flour and form the dough into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle.
- 12Cut the dough into 6 squares, then cut each square on the diagonal to make triangle shaped scones.
- 13Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, until the scones are a light golden brown; transfer to wire racks for cooling.
- 14Maple Cream: in a bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, whipping cream, powdered sugar, and salt until smooth.
- 15Ice the warm scones by dipping the whisk in the maple cream and moving it quickly over the scones using a back-and-forth motion.
- 16Serve scones warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Scones
Serving Size: 1 (1897 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.8
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 222.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 36.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g