Recipe by Melissa Spangler
I have reservations about this dish the first time I tasted it, but boy, was I wrong! Sweet potatoes & sausage are a great combination. Don't leave out the thyme, it is essential. Great comfort food on cold winter days. This is a Sugar Buster's recipe.
Top Review by jennifer.turnage
This soup was so, so good and was easy to make. I made it for Christmas, everyone loved it and admitted that they were skeptical about trying it. As always, your recipes are wonderful! Jennifer
- 1⁄2 lb spicy sausage or 1⁄2 lb ham
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cooked diced sausage in a soup pot with a little of the butter for about five minutes.
- Drain making sure to pour off all accumulated fat.
- In the empty pot, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft.
- Add the thyme and sweet potatoes and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage, syrup and broth.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cream. Warm but do not boil.
- If you want a soup with a thicker consistency, half way through the cooking time ladle some of the soup without the sausage into a blender or hand mixer and whirl making a creamy texture. Add this back to the soup pot and continue cooking.