Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have reservations about this dish the first time I tasted it, but boy, was I wrong! Sweet potatoes & sausage are a great combination. Don't leave out the thyme, it is essential. Great comfort food on cold winter days. This is a Sugar Buster's recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb spicy sausage or 1⁄2 lb ham
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- Cooked diced sausage in a soup pot with a little of the butter for about five minutes.
- Drain making sure to pour off all accumulated fat.
- In the empty pot, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft.
- Add the thyme and sweet potatoes and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage, syrup and broth.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cream. Warm but do not boil.
- If you want a soup with a thicker consistency, half way through the cooking time ladle some of the soup without the sausage into a blender or hand mixer and whirl making a creamy texture. Add this back to the soup pot and continue cooking.
This soup was so, so good and was easy to make. I made it for Christmas, everyone loved it and admitted that they were skeptical about trying it. As always, your recipes are wonderful! Jennifer
An excellent soup, simple to make and there is no doubt that the thyme, it really adds to it. I added 3 crushed cloves of garlic to it this really gave it a boost. My family were delighted with the flavour. We will certainly make it a regular in our meals.