Great side dish, from the Plantation Room in Calloway Gardens, Atlanta. Making this reminds me of going to see the lights there around Christmas!
- Soak the raisins in the rum overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water 10 to 15 minutes, until a paring knife goes through a piece without resistance.
- Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut by spreading on a baking sheet and cooking in the oven 2 to 3 minutes until just beginning to brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk until the salt dissolves.
- While whisking, add the syrup and olive oil slowly.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons coconut and 1/4 cup grapes.
- Toss remaining coconut and grapes, the raisins with any reserved juices and sweet potatoes with the dressing.
- Spread in a shallow platter and top with the reserved coconut and grapes.