Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Great side dish, from the Plantation Room in Calloway Gardens, Atlanta. Making this reminds me of going to see the lights there around Christmas!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup malibu coconut rum
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 4 ounces shredded sweetened coconut (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups grapes, divided
- Soak the raisins in the rum overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water 10 to 15 minutes, until a paring knife goes through a piece without resistance.
- Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut by spreading on a baking sheet and cooking in the oven 2 to 3 minutes until just beginning to brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk until the salt dissolves.
- While whisking, add the syrup and olive oil slowly.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons coconut and 1/4 cup grapes.
- Toss remaining coconut and grapes, the raisins with any reserved juices and sweet potatoes with the dressing.
- Spread in a shallow platter and top with the reserved coconut and grapes.
This was amazing. It was a hit at our church luncheon. I will definitely make it again. Because I made it for the church lunch, I did not use the Malibu Rum. Instead, I substituted Rum extract, vanilla extract and a small amount of crushed pineapple and enough juice to almost cover the raisins and soaked them in that overnight. I did not have sherry wine vinegar but did have sherry cooking wine so I used 1 1/2 Tbsp of cider vinegar and 1/2 Tbsp sherry cooking wine. The directions for cooking were perfect. Thank you to the Plantation Room in Calloway Gardens, Atlanta for sharing this recipe!
Excellent salad and when I brought it to a family gathering it was a hit! All of the ingredients blended well together. It makes a very pretty salad for guests. Prepared as a participant in the April 2009 "Cooking with Spirits" Event in the Photo Forum.