Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Southern Living Magazine.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3 slices pepper bacon (optional) or 3 slices regular bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig
- Arrange potatoes in an even layer in a 15x10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or just until tender. Let cool slightly.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, celery, and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
- Add potatoes, and toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, if desired; garnish, if desired.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Unique and delicious! I added the optional bacon and I really liked the salty, sweet, tangy balance of everything. This will be a great side with grilled steak or anytime you don't want a mayo based salad for a cookout. I think a tiny bit of crumbled blue cheese would taste amazing in this salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Excellent! Like a regular potato salad but with sweet potatoes and no mayo, totally wonderful with ribs and grilled foods.
This recipe was so fabulous that I tried it out for a wedding reception. Not only did the couple love it but the guests raved!! If you are bold enough to try something new, you won't regret this one!