Recipe by PaulaG
Dark, moist, slightly spicy pancakes. No one would ever guess the ingredients list. I served these with fresh blueberry/honey sauce. Probably would be wonderful served with glazed, cooked apples.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Had these uniquely enjoyable pancakes the other day, & right off, I have to say, this recipe is definitely a keeper! The multiple flavors are really nice! One change I did make was to mash up a generous half cup of blueberries & added that to the prepared blueberry & honey sauce! Thanks so much for sharing this unusual recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my theme Yam It Up! in the current Comfort Cafe]
- 177.44 ml rye flour
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml ground cardamom
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 36.97 ml buttermilk baking mix, reconstituted with
- 158.51 ml water, to equal 1 cup
- 118.29 ml cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 59.14 ml sorghum
Blueberry Honey Sauce
- 236.59 ml fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, cocoa powder, salt, cream of tartar, baking soda, cardamon and cinnamon.
- In another bowl lightly beat egg; add mashed sweet potatoes and sorghum syrup.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture; add 1/2 cup reconstituted buttermilk, stir until blended.
- If batter is to thick, add additional reconstituted buttermilk until desired consistency.
- Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, add blueberries, lemon juice and honey.
- Bring to slow bowl, reduce heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto preheated griddle.
- Cook over medium heat until small bubbles appear on top, approximately 45 seconds, check frequently to prevent over browning.
- Turn pancakes and cook until cooked and lightly brown on bottom.
- Serve pancakes topped with blueberry sauce.