Recipe by littleturtle
Extremely moist and yummy. Goes nicely with roast, ham, or turkey for holiday dinners or other special occasions.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweet potatoes (with 1/2 cup liquid from can)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1 1⁄4 cups golden raisins
- 2⁄3 cup pecans or 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
Optional Cheese Filling
- 2⁄3 cup mascarpone cheese (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease 2 coffee cans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and oil, beating until light and fluffy.
- Mash sweet potatoes with 1/2 cup liquid from the can.
- Mix mashed sweet potatoes with egg mixture until well blended.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and seasonings into the sweet potatoes, and mix until well blended.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into coffee cans, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove loaves from cans and cool on cake rack.
- Slice into rounds, and serve.
- For optional filling: mix cheeses together until well-combined, then spread a layer of cheese onto cooked rounds and top with another round to form sandwiches.