2 hrs 30 mins
This is from a very old and trustworthy Canadian cookbook. Follow the instructions precisely and you will not be disappointed with these little treasures!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease two baking sheets. Set aside.
- 2In a saucepan of boiling water, cover and cook sweet potato until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Cool potato and cooking liquid to lukewarm. Peel and mash potato. Set aside.
- 3In large bowl, dissolve suger in warm milk and reserved cooking liquid. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in mashed potato, green onions, 1 tsp of the cooled butter, 1 cup of the flour and salt to make a smooth paste. Stir in 3 cups of the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 5Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until dough is smooth and sticky, adding enough of the remaining flour as necessary. This should take about 10 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with a warm moist towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 7Punch down dough; turn out onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Roll out each piece to about 1/3 inch thickness. Cut into individual 3 1/2" rounds. Stretch each round into slight ovals; fold crosswise in half and pat tops gently to maintain shape. They should look like little half moons. Place one inch apart on greased cookie sheet. Cover again and let rise in a warm draft free place for about 40 minutes.
- 8Brush tops with butter.
- 9Bake one sheet at a time, in center oven at 400°F The rolls will be golden and will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 15-18 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1065 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.5
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 231.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.3 g