Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
Delicious fluffy yet heavy sweet potato rolls. The whole wheat flour and oat bran add extra fibre without being obvious because of the peach/orangey color of these buns. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or snack. In North America, sweet potatoes are often called yams. Yams -a tuberous starchy vegetable that is a staple in Africa. Recipe from Peak of the Market.
Top Review by fawn512
love this bread, made it 2x now.I omit the raisins, use 1/2t salt (because it was a bit bland at 1/8t) use all whole wheat flour, 2T for both oil and honey. And the bread is still fluffy and soft
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk powder
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, washed and dried or 3⁄4 cup currants
- 1 (8 g) packageinstant quick-rising yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp if you buy yeast in bulk)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed, reserve cooking liquid
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1 cup sweet potato water, from cooking
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix together 2 cups of whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oat bran, skim milk powder, orange zest, salt, raisins, and yeast.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, heat sweet potatoes, margarine, honey, and potato cooking liquid until hot to the touch.
- Stir mixture and eggs into dry ingredients.
- Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough into 16 equal pieces; shape each into a smooth ball.
- Place seam side down on lightly sprayed baking sheet, about 2 inches apart; cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes 16 rolls.