Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe from my mum. Very easy to make and tastes great.
Make and share this Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 2 large red peppers
- 1 large onion
- 1 dash hot sauce (Tabasco works well, but any hot sauce really)
- black pepper
- 2 pints of stocked water
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into pieces (otherwise they will take forever to boil properly).
- Cut onion into small pieces.
- Seed and cut up the red peppers.
- Add the potatoes, onion and peppers into a large pan with the 2 pints of stocked water (if you've had a roast chicken the night before then using the carcass for stock makes a world of difference).
- Bring to boil them reduce heat slightly and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Blend the ingredients together using whatever implement you have, blenders and hand blenders are the most convenient ones to use. Blend until there are few to no bits left.
- Add hot sauce to taste (not much is needed though).
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Heat soup again while stirring for a couple of minutes and serve. Have a good loaf of bread heady, it's the best way to eat soup.
I wish I could rate this higher, because it's really simple and I wanted to like it more. For us, the flavor was too sweet, and needed some balance. I didn't see the jalapeno idea, although I thought maybe adding a can of tomatoes or some spinach might be a nice addition, or some curry powder. If you really love sweet potatoes, you'll probably love this.
This was a really easy soup to make. I did not have any hot sauce, so I added a chopped jalapeÃ±o pepper. This soup has a nice sweet flavour and is quite filling. Thanks for the recipe.