Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve with soup, chili, baked beans or barbecued ribs
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 12 0z)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper (finely diced)
- Scrub sweet potato and trim off ends, pierce with fork and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes Let cool and remove skin and mash with fork until smooth.
- Measure 1 cup of mashed sweet potato and place in bowl. Whisk in milk, eggs and oil until smooth.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. Stir in sweet potato mixture and red pepper until just combined.
- Spread batter in greased or parchment-lined loaf pan or 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake in 400 deg oven for 18-24 mins or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.